Saturday, February 11, 2012

Strength in Weakness

Earlier this week I visited a friend who had been in a car accident in Honduras in November. She has 10 fractured vertebrae and has to be in a plastic splint that covers her entire mid-section – chest to hips. Her trunk rotation/mobility is highly limited and she is not supposed lift anything, making most general activities difficult or impossible..

This gal had been a very self-sufficient woman, living on her own, working for Blue Cross and teaching Zumba. Now she has not been able to work or teach Zumba since November and has had to have help with activities we take for granted. She was telling me how much help she has had to receive over these months and how humbling that has been for her.

It struck me that she has to be a very strong person to actually even accept that help. Regardless of whether it was financial or with general hygiene, she has had to decide if she wanted to submit to others assisting her. And it is indeed a decision. In reality, she has had to exercise more strength since being weaker than before the accident when she was physically stronger.

This epiphany reminded me of my husband. Philip has had to exercise said strength for years now. As a result, his character is to be admired. Philip recently quoted a professor’s definition of patience as the combination of self-control, humility and generosity. My husband exhibits mastery of patience.

I often tell people what a strong man Philip is. The temporary example of the friend I mentioned is the constant example of my husband. This strength has crafted him into a most excellent man. Every one should be as fortunate as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment