Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Misplaced Gratitude

A couple of weeks ago, Philip checked the mail and found a not-so-suspicious letter in our mailbox.
After opening the letter, he found it was a thank you note. Again, nothing suspicious there - especially given the fact we live in Mississippi and Philip jokes that we send thank you notes for our thank you notes.

This is where it gets interesting...I'll let you read the contents.

Just in case you have trouble reading it, the first line in the body reads, "Thank you for helping me move into my new house."
Now, if you are reading our blog, am I going to assume that you know that my husband, Philip, is in a wheelchair. That little fact would exclude him from being able to participate the action for which he was thanked. We found this hilarious and strange all at the same time. We have concocted ways that this person found Philip's name and mailing address and believed him to be the one to thank.

Philip is neither embarrased nor hindered by his condition. I would conjecture the Lord has even used his situation to make him a wiser-than-normal 30 year old. Don't get me wrong, it's not the handicap in and of itself. In the brief time I have known Philip, I have been more aware of people who are handicapped and interested in their stories. Whatever the circumstances that caused the crippling, it is the attitude and fortitude of the person, not the handicap itself, that is the lynch pin in their lives.

All of that to say that Philip is able to get a good belly laugh out of this misplaced gratitude and we hope you are too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment