Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 3 with no water

I suppose Jackson, MS, was not prepared for 14 nights of sub-freezing weather. Why do I make such a claim? Because many, many of us residents are about to spend our 3rd day without running water. This is more than a nuisance. Jackson has actually been declared in a state of emergency.

Have you ever considered all the ways and places you use water? Here are some of the major ones that I'm missing it : We can't take a shower; I can't fill up Anastasia's bathtub; I can't fill up Anastasia's humidifier tank; I can't wash my hands after handling raw pork; I can't wash dishes, much less run the dishwasher; I can't brush my teeth like normal; The toilet doesn't flush; I can't wash my face at the end of the day.

Thankfully, because I teach some fitness classes at the Baptist Healthplex, and Philip has become a member, we are able to shower there. I also fill up Anastasia's humidifier tank there and several milk jugs. It's a hassle to have to arrange our shower times either around childcare hours at the Healthplex or entertain Anastasia while we try to get clean.

After this crisis, I do hope that I will appreciate running water whenever I turn on the faucet...unfortunately, that gratefulness will probably only last about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment