Monday, July 5, 2010

Some would say I'm a glutton for pain...


Others would say I'm a good Mississippi State fan.

I love the 4th of July weekend. But because of an English tradition, not an American holiday. The Championships at Wimbledon happen every year over our Independence Day. I had the opportunity to attend Wimbledon in 2007. It was a wonderful experience! I didn't have a Centre Court ticket, but that didn't matter. It was raining, but that "dampen" the experience either...it was Wimbledon!

This past weekend, I was pulling for the Chech, Tomas Berdych, to beat Rafael Nadal, and the Russian, Vera Zvonareva to upset Serena Williams. I don't know if I could get more unpatriotic, but this whole incident will prove I am a Miss. State Bulldog even before an American. Don't get me wrong, I am very, very thankful for the liberties we experience in this nation. But I bleed maroon.

I think the reason that I always pull for underdog is because Mississippi State is usually the underdog. Choosing the underdog is a bigger risk but a bigger victory, too. (See also, the 2009 Egg Bowl.) Accordingly, I cheered for Zvonareva on Saturday and Berdych on Sunday. They both lost. Nadal and Williams are on their way to setting tennis records, but that didn't affect my choice.

So, some would say I'm a glutton for pain, but I maintain that I am just a conditioned Mississippi State fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment