Sunday, August 28, 2011

Books are to be read according to their worth

I recently started reading God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the SEC by Chad Gibbs. It addresses a topic I have often thought about since I became a (Christian) believer in 1998. I had long before been a believer in Mississippi State.

Since being converted, when I have the occasion to go to a Miss. State football game - rather, one we win decidedly - there is a sense of excitement and joy and community and blissfulness that is rarely matched. However, I know that sensation may seem like sadness compared to what believers will experience in glory. What I do get sad about in those victorious Bulldog moments is the likelihood that many people will not share the thrill of rejoicing with me when Jesus returns.

But getting to the title of this blog entry: Gibbs writes about a subject worthy of focus. His introduction is enough to make any SEC loving Christian wince in knowing laughter. Namely, that SEC football is much more attractive than loving Jesus. He describes this with a light-hearted and serious combination that makes it easier to swallow, but true nonetheless.

However, I find myself not being able to read large portions of his book at a time. When I told Philip that tonight, with shame in my heart because his writing style is not lofty or hard to read, he replied, "Books are to read according to their worth."

In essence, Philip was saying that even though Gibbs may have a worthy subject, his tone and attitude can be abrasive as well as humorous, sometimes at the expense of the church. In humor, he takes shots at specific denominations (50, 61, 72/3). Although he is attempting to get a laugh out of his audience, he does it at the expense of the church. He is undercutting the very God he is attempting to seek. Gibbs emphasizes the unity of the fans at the games he visits but fails to promote the same among God's children.

So while I appreciate his quest to find a balance between loving his Auburn Tigers and the Almighty God, there could be more thought put into the ink he spills about Jesus' bride, the church. I look forward to finishing the book...but at much slower a pace than I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment